You are here
Upgrading your computer for SchoolsCashOnline
Upgrade as of July 31, 2015:
The Payment Card Industry (“PCI”) Security Standards Council recently released PCI Data Security Standard 3.1 (“PCI DSS”), which ceased the acceptability of TLS 1.0 as a secure protocol. TLS 1.0 is a security protocol used to establish a secure connection between School Cash Online and the user. New implementations are no longer allowed to utilize TLS 1.0, while existing implementations must cease support for TLS 1.0 by June 30, 2016.
As a credit card Service Provider, KEV Group (“KEV”)’s School Cash Online adheres to PCI DSS requirements. KEV takes security seriously and takes extraordinary precautions for its clients’ peace of mind. Therefore, effective immediately, School Cash Online will no longer support TLS 1.0.
What this Means
Mobile and desktop web browsers that have only SSL or TLS 1.0 protocols enabled will not be able to access School Cash Online. Typically, users will see a browser provided message to turn on TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in advanced settings. Most modern web browsers have the TLS 1.1 and 1.2 protocols but may not have them enabled by default.
Who is affected?
- Internet Explorer (“IE”) versions 7 to 10 and Google Android OS Browser on Android 4.4.4 will likely be impacted by this change.
- IE versions 7 to 9 on Windows Visa and Windows Server 2008 does not have support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2. Users must upgrade their browser to the latest version or use an alternative browser, such as Google Chrome.
- IE versions 8 to 10 on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012 have TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 disabled by default. Users must go into their settings and enable these protocols.
- Android OS Browser on Android 4.3 and older does not support TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2. Users must use an alternative mobile browser or use a desktop browser.
- Android OS Browser on Android 4.4 to 4.4.4 have TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 disabled by default. Users must go into their settings and enable these protocols.
How to enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2
It takes only 10 seconds to enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 !
- Users should navigate to their browser settings by going to the gear/cog (or “hamburger”) icon typically in the top right area of their web browser
- In IE, click “Internet Options”
- In IE, in new pop-up box, click the “Advanced” tab
- Scroll down to “Security” settings.
- There, tick off TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2, and press “apply” to make the change.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns regarding this change.
Return to SchoolCashOnline info page